Environmental awareness has never been higher than it is today. Governments, corporations and the community are all thinking of ways to reduce their environmental impact and carbon footprint.
At Corporate Protection, we have been at the forefront of this commitment for some years. It’s not just talk; we really do walk the walk.
This week, we’ve launched our third annual report and action plan – the 2022 Corporate Protection Sustainability Plan. In this document, we report on our environmental impact and achievements over 2021, and our strategies for the year ahead.
In 2021, we announced several initiatives, including the roll-out of our first site-based hybrid vehicle and achieving ISO14001:2015 Environmental Management Systems certification.
Less obvious, were some of our lower-profile initiatives, particularly in recycling – including IT equipment and staff uniforms. We also upgraded some of our heavy usage equipment – most notably the head office air conditioning system. Our fleet management took a leap forward with 100% of our vehicles now monitored in real time, using our in-vehicle management system (IVMS) which lets us track fuel consumption among other things.
We also won two tenders to provide our services to the renewable energy sector: Coopers Gap Wind Farm and Wivenhoe Hydro.
So how did we go?
The signs are positive. Of the three main sources of our carbon emissions – vehicles, electricity and air travel – all three have shown a dramatic improvement over the past three years. This is despite the company growing strongly over this time.
In 2021, we:
- Reduced our petrol/diesel consumption by 7.7% over 2020. That equals 10 tonnes of C02
- Reduced our electricity consumption by a whopping 25.3% (65 tonnes of C02!)
- We did, however, increase our air travel by 169,000 km (23 tonnes of C02) from 2020, so we will be looking at more ways to economise on this
- Overall, we reduced our carbon footprint from 2020 by 52.3 tonnes.
That’s massive – so thank you everyone
Where do we go now?
In the year ahead, Corporate Protection will be:
- Monitoring the efficiencies of our hybrid vehicle with the view to replacing retiring petrol/diesel vehicles with more hybrid of electric vehicles
- Pursuing even more renewable energy clients across the country. We see this industry as the future, so we will continue to build our expertise in the sector
- Ramping up the capabilities of our IVMS
- Extending our list of recyclable waste
Again, thanks everyone! This is a company-wide initiative. These great results are all part of a concerted effort from the entire Corporate Protection family. And in the spirit of innovation, we’d love to hear your suggestions for even bigger and better ideas to help us build a more sustainable business and a more sustainable future.